Storytime for New to Two every Wednesday at 10:30.

Storytime for New to Two every Wednesday at 10:30. Stories, songs, puppets and a lot of playtime fun.

Friday, July 13, 2012

Pet Storytime

We've talked about dogs. We've talked about cats. Today was Pet Storytime, so we talked about dogs, cats, guinea pigs, birds, horses, bunnies, elephants... 


Books: 

  • Fifteen Animals by Sandra Boynton. I played the song instead of reading this, which was a first for me. It went kind of fast, so I had a hard time fishing out my props, but the moms clapped along and I think the kids liked the rhythm.
  • Dog's Day by Jane Cabrera. This short book with its bright, cheerful illustrations and mention of snakes and monkeys and fish is a perfect toddler storytime book.  We even had a dad for the ending!
  • Pet Shop Lullaby by Mary Ann Fraser. This book would have been great if one of the babies hadn't managed to pick the switchplate cover off the wall just at this time and Lydia hadn't realized that she wasn't going to be able to open the closet door and get the toys out early so there was quite a lot of complaining.
  • Emma's Elephant by David Ellwand. This beautiful book with lovely black and white photos was fun to do because I handed out the animals as I read.

We sang the new bunny song: See the Bunnies Sleeping .  I like it so much I'll probably add it to our line up.


Towards the end of storytime, I count how many babies are in the room. The moms all join in and it's a fun way to make eye contact with them. Then we do:
1 little baby, rocking in a tree.
2 little babies, throwing kisses at me.
3 little babies, crawling on the floor.
4 little babies, knocking on the door.
5 little babies, playing hide3 and seek.
Keep your eyes closed tight, now,
Till I say .... PEEK!



No comments:

Post a Comment