Storytime for New to Two every Wednesday at 10:30.

Storytime for New to Two every Wednesday at 10:30. Stories, songs, puppets and a lot of playtime fun.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Penguin Storyhour for Babies and Toddlers, Wednesday, January 11 @ 10:30


Books

 I Am Small by Emma Dodd.  This books isn't really about penguins, but opposites.  Opposites are always great to do with babies, so this will work out fine.
Waddle! Waddle! by Jame Proimos. Props: horn, mirror.  I looked around the room in the middle of this and the babies were actually listening!  One year olds listening to a story!  So this is definitely a keeper. (The penguin looks into the mirror at himself -- not sure if the babies will get that, use the puppet.
Penguins by Cynthia Rylant.  Doesn't really work with the babies.  It seems like it's so short that it will hold them, but it doesn't... Use I Like It When or Busy Penguins instead.
Book:  I Like It When... by Mary Murphy. Board book. This book isn't really about penguins either, it's about being two years old. Perfectimundo for baby storyhour. Simple line illustrations on brightly colored pages and text easy to act out. "I like it when you tickle me." "I like it when we play peekaboo."
Book: Five Little Penguins Slipping on the Ice by Steve Metzger. Cute variation, with nice big print so the parents could chime in on the chorus.
Song:  I love this song, but it doesn't quite work, because after they dive right in, then what?  This year, I'm going to try it with the equally beloved Busy Penguins below.  So as the penguins dive, swim etc., the magnet penguins will dive, swim, etc. This worked out great!  
Book:  Busy Penguins by John Schindel, board book.  I love this series. Great pictures, rhymes, and lots of actions. I thoroughly enjoyed performing all the penguin acts, like diving, swimming and singing...and then I got to the "Penguins pooping" page.

Play
I explained that snow was very quiet when it fell, then began hurling pompoms and scarves around the room to make rainbow snow.

Songs
  Set up: Have penguins ready in a 1-10 stack. Ask the kids to count with you while you put the penguins on the board in a line. Do first have of the poem, tilting penguins down as if diving. Do second half and straighten them out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment