Storytime for New to Two every Wednesday at 10:30.

Storytime for New to Two every Wednesday at 10:30. Stories, songs, puppets and a lot of playtime fun.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Dog Storyhour, Wednesday, July 27 @ 10:30






Books

  • The Pigeon Wants a Puppy by Mo Willems.  I intro'ed storytime by asking who had a dog.  Emma immediately said she didn't have ANY pets and she REALLY wanted one, which was the perfect set up.  Then I read the title and said, "Huh? A pigeon is a BIRD?  And it wants a DOG?" 
  • Dog's Day by Jane Cabrera.  Her bright illustrations make her books great pix for babies. 
  • Spot's First Walk, by Eric Hill.  I'm boycotting Where's Spot. The vocab includes a grandfather clock, a grand piano, a door under a staircase, a mirrored armoire... But Spot's First Walk, which I actually did at the end, was the only book to work for this group today.  Maybe next year I'll try just doing Spot books.  Lift the flap, simple vocab... 
  • Doggies by Sandra Boynton.  A very fun read aloud, as you repeat with each finger (hold up your fingers as dogs) the different sounds they make. And in the end they all go Awroooooo! together.  Everyone howled just like the dogs.
Songs

I'd never done this song before, but it worked very well.


123, doggies got a flea
Doggies got a flea and now it’s on me
123 doggies got a flea
Doggies got a flea and now it’s on me
It’s on my nose, my toes,
It’s on my ear, it’s over HERE
It’s on my tum, it’s on my thumb
123doggies got a flea

Doggies got a flea and now it’s on me

2 comments:

  1. I recently had a discussion with a co-worker where we declared that Bark, George is absolutely the best storytime book ever and Jules Feiffer deserves some sort of special award for it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, that's a great idea! There's the Geisel Readaloud Award, but that's a bit different from The Perfect Storyhour Book. And books that are great for storyhour do call for unique ingredients -- having to do with being eaten, animals & their sounds, great, simple pix. I love it!

    ReplyDelete