I know, I know, EVERY storytime is pretty comical. But this one will be nothing but! We're going to get good and silly this Wednesday!
And no one's sillier than Sandra Boynton!
Plays: I bring my clown wig, my bunny ears, my Groucho Marx glasses with moustache. "Do you have hair on your head?" and then I put on my wig. "Wow, look at my hair, I'm so beautiful," etc.
- Silly Faces...See Me Go! Office Board Book. Very nicely interactional. I would show them each page, they'd shout out what kind of vehicle it was, and then I'd look around the room for a willing baby. Some were too shy to be boats or bikes, but others liked the applause the room gave them.
- Betty Goes Bananas by Steve Antony. Didn't realize how perfect this book was for this age group. They are all a bunch of banana eaters who can't peel their own fruit and have tantrums! Very cleverly done -- when you turn to that red page and Betty starts wailing, they can see what's coming. Nothing better than a book that BABIES listen to.
- Are You A Cow by Sandra Boynton started us off just right. I added to the text as a I read because the babies were listening. "When you are through eating your cereal, do you bark to get down? Are you a DOG!" etc. And they really liked that. Note to self: I didn't use that intro/explanation this year, and the book didn't go over nearly as well.
- Tickle Time! by Sandra Boynton
- The Icky Sticky Frog by Dawn Bentley. I mended this antique with a hair clip, rounded up my collection of plastic insects, and read it like this: Showed off the very silly googly eyed, sticky tongue frog, read a page, buzzed the bug, opened it up to the front cover again, and the sticky tongue gobbled. Worked wonderfully well.
- But Not the Hippopotamus. Boynton. OK
- The Lady With the Alligator Purse. Westcott. As I told a mom afterward, babies have no sense of humor, but they love rhythm and rhyme, and these sounds help with their language development
- Can You Make a Silly Face by Jan Thomas. Great interactional book. Make sure you brush up on your chicken dance. Super fun.
- Banana Time to go with Betty Goes Bananas
- Pizza Pickle Pumpernickel
- 5 little monkeys (what's sillier than a monkey?