Storytime for New to Two every Wednesday at 10:30.

Storytime for New to Two every Wednesday at 10:30. Stories, songs, puppets and a lot of playtime fun.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Construction Storytime, Wednesday, April 15 @ 10:30




Books: 
  • Digger to the Rescue by Mandy Archer.  I skipped from "Time for Digger's next job" to the exciting cat rescue. I used the book as a digger to demonstrate up and down and the cat rescue.
  • Roadwork by Sally Sutton.  I asked the kids to do the actions with me, hammer the pegs, move the earth, load the dirt, etc. I repeated the chorus, like Ping! Bang! Tap! 3 x.  Next time, I'd go even slower to get the job done! I read to the page about "Roll the tar" and then skipped to the end, "Shout hooray!"
  • Bling Blang by Woody Guthrie is one of my all time favorites, with a short text written in down home rhyme and a nice chorus involving hammering and sawing. Note to self: Find a hammer and saw for props. Too bad I can't play the saw. That would be really cool. Trivia:  Guthrie not only gave us "This Land is Your Land" but "Shake Your Sillies Out!" I'm not sure the group loves this as much as I do.  Maybe try Truck Driver next time.
  • I'm a Truck Driver by Jonathan London. I turn my chair around for this. It's bright illustrations and vehicle sounds make it a fun storyhour book. London is the author of the Froggy books.

Props: We'll sing"This is Little, This is Big," and then have some boxes, ranging in size from big, small to little. We sang the sang again, and then I got out two more very large boxes, so we could do "Big, Large & Huge!"



This is a quick prop to make.  Make it as wide as your thickest book, and then use that at the bottom to lift that edge. Tape the other edge to one of the plastic cube chairs. (Use a lot of tape.).
Songs:
  • This is the Way We Wash our Face (after Digger had his bath). Such a good song for parts of the body.  
  • Motorboat ("Racing Car")
  • Where is racing car (dump truck, big van, helicopter, garbage truck). I do this to Where is Thumbkin. Feel free to sub in any interesting vehicle.
  • "5 big trucks go vroom vroom vroom. They hit the road going zoom zoom zoom. The dispatcher calls out, "Come on back!" But only 4 big trucks are on the track." Trucks in Construction folder. 
And by that time the babies had stormed the castle. We sang our goodbye song and I surrendered the boxes to them.






No comments:

Post a Comment